What Feeds Our Prison Populations?
- Impoverished Neighborhoods
- Chronic Unemployment
- Single or No Parent Households
- The Drug Trade
- Failing Schools
- Lack of Role Models/Mentors
- Chaos/Violence in the Streets
- Lack of Mental Healthcare
- Mandatory Sentencing
- Racial Disparities in Sentencing
- Insufficient number of well-qualified public defenders
- Culture of “out-of-sight, out of mind.”
Society makes it hard to stay out of prison once you’ve been in.
Factors Contributing to Recidivism
- Lack of transitional housing for those who cannot or should not go home.
- Employer reluctance to hire.
- Untreated mental health issues.
- Financial responsibilities beyond earnings.
- Lack of education and social skills.
Read more background information ...
Copyright All Rights Reserved. Street Re-Entry Program of Maryland, Inc.